Friday, November 9, 2007

Pandemic Flu?!

C'mon...is this really necessary?!

Maybe I should wait until after my first cup of coffee to write this, but KSL (SLC station) is reporting on a new frightening commercial by the Utah Health Department warning the community of a potential pandemic flu. It apparently sets forth the potential scenario of how the outbreak would affect our community to the point of mass deaths, panic, and hysteria.

OK. One could argue that because of this commercial we won't see the pandemic which could happen as people will be more educated. But, I'm just a little tired of this tactic of scare the people into action. Isn't it about time we have someone put forth the facts (of course, I'm also skeptical about the medical kooks they use to give facts...but that's for another blog) and steer away from causing panic. It reminds me of the House M.D. episode in which a pandemic disease struck the airplane, affecting Dr. Cuddy herself; of course in the end it was the hysteria that caused the disease to spread (great scene...House making up the symptoms at the radio and the passengers suddenly getting them.)

Anyway, back to my question. I really don't know the answer, but just wonder why this is coming out now. Of course, the huge supply of flu shots is beginning to be distributed. What?! Now, now, the flu shots have nothing to do with the pandemic as the pandemic would be the result of a mutated disease that couldn't be cured. Sure...but what citizen would not in some way equivilate getting the vaccine to help minimize the possibility of getting the flu. Surely, if enough people are vaccinated it would help decrease the number of flu bugs to mutate. Of course, this doesn't fully hold water as the flu shots have never gone unused due to the high demand. Still, it makes me wonder as to the impeccable timing of the commercial.

Maybe I'll just never know. Maybe Big Brother (sorry for the sarcasm) really does just care about me. Maybe I just lean towards conspiracy theories a bit too much. But, really, who comes up with this stuff?

No comments: